It’s important to get all of the facts when you are deciding among different approaches to restoring your smile after tooth loss. Patients should consult with an oral surgeon to get more details on dental implants before making their final treatment decision.
Misconceptions About Dental Implants
If you do have any concerns about dental implants, we encourage you to discuss them with your oral surgeon. We can set you straight on common misconceptions, such as:
- Dental implants are expensive
- Dental implant placement is painful
- Dental implants look artificial
- Dental implants are unsafe
- Any dentist can place dental implants
Dental Implant Mythbusting
The reality of dental implants is much different than the list above. In fact,
- Dental implants do cost more initially, but over the patient’s lifespan, the cost of dental implants is similar to that of conventional restorations that periodically need to be refitted and replaced.
- An oral surgeon administers local anesthetic before placing dental implants, and patients also can choose sedation for greater comfort. Most post-operative discomfort, if present, is mild and can be managed with over-the-counter painkillers.
- Dental implants support appliances – crowns, bridges and dentures – made of state-of-the-art materials that closely replicate the appearance of biological tooth enamel.
- While any type of surgery is associated with some level of risk, dental implants have a high success rate, and we take steps to maintain our patient’s safety while they are under our care.
- Oral surgeons are uniquely qualified to place dental implants, as they have specialized expertise in the necessary surgical techniques and sedation methods that are unmatched by other providers.
Do you have questions about dental implants, or are you wondering if some of the things you’ve heard about this treatment simply aren’t true? Call Central Oklahoma Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates and talk to one of our friendly, knowledgeable staff members or visit us for a consultation.