Choosing an oral surgeon can seem daunting at first, but it doesn’t need to be an anxiety-provoking experience. Whatever the reason that you need oral surgery, weighing just a handful of concerns can help you pick the right provider.
Reasons For Consulting With An Oral Surgeon
Why would you need to see an oral surgeon anyway? If your dentist has recommended one of the following treatments, you’ll need to see a specialist.
- Wisdom teeth extraction – Impacted wisdom teeth must be removed in a surgical procedure.
- Dental implants – Surgery is necessary to place these structurally complete tooth replacements in a patient’s jaw.
- Bone grafting – Bone from a donor source can help to address congenital bone deficiencies or help a patient become a more suitable candidate for dental implant placement.
- Jaw surgery – Congenital jaw defects or issues that arise during the jaw’s growth and development may need to be addressed with a surgical procedure.
Factors To Consider When Choosing An Oral Surgeon
After you’ve learned that you will need some sort of oral surgery, your next step is choosing a specialist who will provide the indicated treatment. These five tips can help you select an oral surgeon:
- Ask your dentist for a referral. Your dentist is well-acquainted with the dental specialists in the area and can recommend a surgeon who will meet your needs.
- Consider the surgeon’s expertise, education and training, including continuing education. These specialists complete a post-graduate residency focusing on oral surgery, and they should also take ongoing continuing education courses that keep them updated on the latest surgical techniques and approaches.
- Find out which providers accept your insurance and/or offer financing options. This allows you to minimize your out-of-pocket costs and fit them into your budget.
- Review the treatments provided and procedures performed. Make sure that the practice offers the particular treatment that you need.
- Look for a practice that is convenient for you. You will need to attend multiple appointments, including a consultation and follow-up sessions in addition to the procedure itself. Pick a practice that is conveniently located and accommodates your schedule.
We are happy to answer any questions that you may have as you search for someone to extract your wisdom teeth, place dental implants or perform some other oral surgery procedure. Call Central Oklahoma Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates to speak to one of our staff members or to schedule a consultation.